Friday, November 28, 2008

Losing Sensitivity

Over twelve years ago we sold our television in a yard sale for $20, and we haven't had one since. It's rare that I will even see one except at a store or while visiting friends or family. Yesterday provided one of those occasions as all were gathered around the room while the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade marched across the screen in the background. Occasionally I would turn my eyes toward it, being drawn in by the drama of unreality. I was grieved by what I saw, and I was grieved by what others don't see. "Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as it indulge in every kind of impurity, with a continual lust for more." (Ephesians 4:19)

1 comment:

Mike and Katie said...

This so hard to bear. It is so hard to connect and be present with people who are so blind, especially to how it all affects children.

May many children grow up free from the pressures of consumerism and idolatry.

My younger son suggested we read Judges for our next book during our newly instituted family worship time. I pray their eyes are open through the reading of God's word.

Katie