Saturday, June 13, 2009

Character Flawed

I've been contemplating the clause "out of character." We often say it when we see someone behave in a way that doesn't seem consistent with what seems usual to us. Most likely they've done something that we would deem inappropriate or bad. "That sudden outburst was out of character for him." But, is anything really out of character for us as Christians? We are wretched creatures, completely dead in our trespasses until God gives us new life. Our default setting is slavery to sin. If we do anything good, it's by grace alone; it's His character that others see, not ours. So, if I'm behaving badly, I'm just back to being me. Lord, transform me! "Behold I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me." (Psalm 51:5)

No comments: