Monday, November 30, 2009

Special Treats

Amidst the mayhem of Thanksgiving morning, we paused to thank the Lord for all that He has done for us this year. I started a new tradition of having each person present write down in a journal at least one of the things that they were thinking about. Since two-year old Jesse hasn't quite grasped the concept of penmanship, I asked her, "Jesse, what are you thankful for?" Ready to record whatever she might say, I listened intently, yet not really expecting a reply. Slowly, she began. "I'm thankful for..." Pause. "I'm thankful for..." Pause. "I'm thankful for...special treats." My surprise that she had heard me and understood me could not be contained! Special treats are what we call candy, cake, cookies, ice cream, and just about anything else that we know will bring glee to our little girl. So she knows, I thought, that these are the things she's thankful for; she understands that these are things that bring her little heart delight. And, I began praying fervently that the Lord in His saving grace would begin to transform her special treats from the fleeting joy of food to the everlasting joy of making much of Him.

No comments: