Saturday, September 19, 2009

Getting In

"I wanta get in," Jesse said, lifting her tiny toes toward the pages of her Jesus Storybook Bible. I smiled, realizing she was trying to climb onto the sand where Goliath of Gath had just fallen, smitten by the stone from David's sling. Oh, Lord, I thought, how precious that she wants to be there, among these ancient words, living the story instead of just hearing it. And what a lesson for me not to just read this beautiful Book, the Bible, but to imagine myself in each scene, meditating on what it might have meant to have been a small shepherd boy facing a giant or an Israelite seeing victory from the sideline. Father, may the words that we've read and reread come alive as we see them anew through the eyes of a child.

1 comment:

Mike and Katie said...

That's so funny! I love their little imaginations!