Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sweet Service

Lunchtime. I'm rushing around the room making mental checklists as I go. Salt and pepper on the table? Check. Sippy cups filled? Check. Mayo on John's sandwich? Check. Two-year-old Jesse suddenly asks, "Are you going to sit down with us, Momma?" Flashback forty years: From my earliest dining memories on up to my days of adulthood, I would get annoyed that my mom was not eating with us. In fact, it became an outright frustration to us three kids who felt that their mother never joined them at the table. I'm sorry, mom. I think I've finally figured it out: you weren't sitting because you were serving. "She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband, also, and he praises her." (Proverbs 31:27-28)

1 comment:

Mike and Katie said...

It will get better as the girls are able to help. They can bring the S&P and fill their own sippy cups. Amanda loves to help and is so attentive to what needs to be done. She loves to be thanked and told she is a good helper. Soon you will all be able to sit down together.