Monday, February 15, 2010

Appliance Time

Sizzling bacon served up in six minutes. Ah, the microwave. Dazzling dishes ready to reuse in just under an hour. Ah, the dishwasher. Clean and comfy clothes washed and dried in only two hours' time. Ah, the washer and dryer. It is a rare day that I don't recognize with rejoicing the miracle of modern appliances. In many ways, they make my life much simpler than the moms of the past who did all these things by hand. But, so often, we use our new found free time to make life more complicated, filling the hours with a to-do list too long with temporal things. Lord, help us to make the most of the minutes we've gleaned from these great gadgets, focusing on eternal purposes, redeeming the time for You.

1 comment:

jodilee0123 said...

One of my favorite things to do in the summer is hang clothes on the line. I don't think we used the dryer once (unless it was raining and we needed underwear! haha!) It took way longer and there were a few times the clothes hung out there for a couple of days. . . but it was my time with God. The beautiful sunshine. My kids playing in the yard. The simple things in life--so comforting.