Monday, August 25, 2008

Great Cloud

Sitting on the floor in my prayer closet, I am surrounded by books written over the centuries by men and women who love God. When I am discouraged I will gaze at the titles, remembering the words I have read and the lessons I have learned through their faithfulness. My Bible, too, is filled with stories of those who have gone before me, those who have followed in the way of the cross. "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." (Hebrews 12:1-2)

No comments: