Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Moving Up

Early in my Christian journey I read a book in which the pastor/author said that almost without exception he would counsel people not to move. His reasoning was that relationships are better built through time, and as those hoping to spread the fragrance of Christ, we would more likely have opportunity if we shared our lives with the same people. After almost 21 years in the same house, I have experienced the validity of his counsel. I have also experienced the truth that God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him, and we look more satisfied in Him to the world when we stay put or better yet, downsize. Several years ago, friends of ours left the suburbs for the city, moving from a "nice" neighborhood to an "undesirable" one with hopes to reach the least of these. Their unbelieving friends were mystified, and even many of their Christian friends discouraged them, but God was glorified. In reality, they were moving up. "He made my feet like the feet of a deer and set me secure on the heights." (Psalm 18:33)

No comments: